old gm building
Bartleby the Scrivener vegan27
Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Houghton School
This is the Houghton School in 1881, on the southwest corner of Abbot and 6th Streets.


Courtesy of the Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library


Accoding to Silas Farmer's History of Detroit and Wayne County and early Michigan, the Houghton School
was opened in the fall of 1853, and rebuilt in 1872. It was originally called the Eighth Ward School, but on March 5,1866, the name was changed to Houghton in honor of Douglass Houghton, the first president of the [Detroit School] Board. (p.746)

Two sisters from the family who first lived in the Bagley house taught at this school: Anne Buchanan Holland Lennon, and Margaret Buchanan Sullivan, who later became a newspaper editor in Chicago and one of the most well-known journalists in the country at the time. Neither woman, however, actually lived in the Bagley house, but did live in the house that previously stood at the same address. Among Margaret Buchanan Sullivan's students at the Houghton School was William Cotter Maybury, Mayor of Detroit from 1897 to 1905. Mayor Maybury served as pallbearer at Mrs. Sullivan's funeral at Most Holy Trinity Church in 1903.

As early as 1881, the school was haunted by ghost children:


Courtesy of the Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library


Today, there is nothing but a parking lot at this location, the ghosts having fled to the suburbs in the mid-1980's.



The parking lots were for State of Michigan employees who worked in the building on the far left, before being relocated to Cadillac Place in 1996. This spot is three blocks south of the Bagley house.

?

Log in

No account? Create an account